California's Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Prevention Act of 2010 requires that all residential property be equipped with a California State Fire Marshal (CSFM) approved carbon monoxide detector when the property has a fossil fuel burning heater or appliance, fireplace, or an attached garage, as follows:
Information specific to the Act is found in the California Health and Safety Code Sections 13260 thru 13263.
Information specific to property owners and property management responsibility and disclosure requirements are found in California Health and Safety Code sections 17926, 17926.1, and 17926.2.
Carbon monoxide (CO) is a deadly, colorless, odorless, poisonous gas. It is produced by the incomplete burning of various fuels, including coal, wood, charcoal, oil, kerosene, propane, and natural gas. Products and equipment powered by internal combustion engines such as portable generators, cars, lawn mowers, and power washers also produce CO.
At lower levels of exposure, CO causes mild effects that are often mistaken for the flu. These symptoms include:
At moderate concentrations, angina, impaired vision, and reduced brain function may result. At higher concentrations, CO exposure can be fatal.
The effects of CO exposure can vary greatly from person to person depending on age, overall health and the concentration and length of exposure.
Follow manufacturers instructions.
The CSFM has published a list of approved CO alarm products for use in homes and apartments. View the most current listing (PDF).
Don't ignore the alarm! It is intended to go off before you are experiencing symptoms:
* Do your symptoms occur only in the house? Do they disappear or decrease when you leave home and reappear when you return?
* Is anyone else in your household complaining of similar symptoms? Did everyone's symptoms appear about the same time?
* Are you using any fuel-burning appliances in the home?
* Has anyone inspected your appliances lately? Are you certain they are working properly?
No matter what, you should not go back in until the home has been ventilated, you have identified and remedied the source of the CO leak, and have appliances or chimneys checked by a professional as soon as possible.
It is most important to be sure combustion equipment is maintained and properly adjusted. Vehicular use should be carefully managed adjacent to buildings and in vocational programs. Additional ventilation can be used as a temporary measure when high levels of CO are expected for short periods of time.
(Information provided courtesy of the Consumer Products Safety Commission and the Environmental Protection Agency)